Khan Tankaz

al-Ayn and al-Shifa Hammams (Public Baths) are situated within a Mamluk Caravanserai called Khan Tankaz located in the central part of the Cotton merchants’ (Qattanin) market. This complex was established by Prince Sayf al-Din Tankaz, one of Sultan al-Nasir Muhammad bin Qalawoun’s princes in 737 AH (1336 AD). The market was built as a commercial compound including lodgings for hermits and mystics because of its proximity to the Haram al-Sharif. The Mamluk period was considered the golden age of Islamic architecture in Jerusalem.

al-Ayn bath was founded at the south western entrance of the Qattanin market which leads to Al Aqsa Mosque and al-Shifa bath is on the eastern side of the Khan. Public baths were established in Jerusalem and other cities in Palestine and the Islamic world and passed through multiple stages of development until they reached the Mamluk design of planning.